Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Getting home is harder than it looks

I'm a moron.
But that's okay, cause people in Austria are not.
I was in class when the mobile phone I'm using over here began to ring. It's not my phone, it's my host father's. The ringtone is the Simpsons theme. I don't dislike the Simpsons, but there's no way in my life I'd ever have the Simpsons theme as my ringtone by choice. Especially when I'm trying to give people a good impression of myself.
It was really embarrassing actually. Sitting in the lesson, and then out of nowhere my pocket started to vibrate and the tune began to play. The teacher stopped talking, some students were looking at me, and I must have been bright red. To make it more embarrassing, this was my first class with these people. On Monday I was in class 2a, but today - in the morning - I was in class 3c. So I didn't know anyone. I put my hand up and asked to turn the phone off, which the teacher said to please do so.
I'm incapable of doing so myself, so I had to ask Philip (you remember him from my previous post?) to turn it off for me. He very kindly obliged and I sunk into my chair, embarrassed.

Now that may sound like it has nothing to do with me getting home. But it does. You see, I was asked by my host father to call when school ended. After school, as I walked to the Bahnhof, I turned my phone on. It was kind enough to have a pin. Yay. Not only that, but I forgot to take a piece of paper with my host family's contact details. I was alone.

Haha. Saying alone like that makes it feel like I'm trying to make it super dramatic. Anyways. I stood outside the Bahnhoff und (and. I'm slowly teaching you German!) began to thunk my head against one of the tall stone pillar things with self-loathing at my stupidity. I walked inside the station and looked at the train departure times for a solid 8 minutes. I couldn't understand it at all, but I felt perhaps the longer I looked at it, the more sense it would make.

It didn't work.

Then all of a sudden, standing next to me, was the equivalent of Superman. Not even kidding. It was this guy from my class and he had come up to ask if I needed help. I could have cried I was so relieved. I couldn't have actually cried, by the way, but you get the idea. He told me about how I could go back to the school if I had any big problems, or I could just catch the nextish train. He was even kind enough to call one of his friends who was supposed to be on the same train, to have him help me. I asked him (in my amazing German) what his name was. Turns out his name is Marco.
...
...
WHAT A COOL NAME!
*cough* so yeah. I walked outside to the platform, and he walked out the other side of the station building to the road side. I sat down and was listening to my ipod for a while when he was standing next to me. Again. I have no soul. Because he was helping me, he missed his bus. *Tears well up in eyes* Such a good person...
We sat and talked for a while, and then he had to catch his bus, and I had to catch my train.

On my way home I was thinking about how I was supposed to return to my host family's house. They live a bit out of town, and I don't know how to get there. I'm supposed to catch a bus daily, but I didn't know what bus to catch. I have a rough idea in what direction to go (thank goodness), so I planned to go that way.

As I got off the train, thinking of how on Earth I was going to get home, I heard my host father call me. He was waiting for me ^^ Turns out he'd called but obviously, the phone being off, couldn't get in contact with me. He pointed out the bus I was supposed to catch, and then we drove home.
When I walked in, my host mother was relieved and happy to see me. I even scored a hug (yay for host mother hugging!). She was saying how she was worried about me and thought they'd never see me again (or something along those dramatic lines). I felt very loved.

And that's the story of how I'm now here to write this blog, instead of being halfway to Graz. On foot.
Clare
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment